Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Red Enchilada Sauce

Whenever I make my chicken enchiladas I don't usually put much of a sauce over them apart from possibly salsa and grated cheese, but the other day while watching an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (a huge source of cooking inspiration for me, and who doesn't love Guy Fieri :o), there was a chef making what looked like a fabulous enchilada sauce to ladle over his burritos.  There were a few ingredients (spices mostly) that I didn't want to put into my sauce - mainly because I didn't have them and apart from this one sauce would probably never use them again, so didn't want the expense of buying them.  I also didn't want my sauce to be too overly spicy especially when I knew that I was going to be making some beef and bean burritos tonight using some of my recent taco seasoning which has a decided 'kick' to it - didn't want to be blowing off the top of our heads with a double dose!!!










Red Enchilada Sauce
approx 3 cups

3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Tbs flour
2 Tbs chili powder
1 cup vegetable stock
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

  • heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium to high heat.
  • stir in the flour and heat for 1 minute.
  • add the chili powder and mix to incorporate.
  • pour in the vegetable stock and tomato sauce and mix until everything is blended.
  • add the oregano, cumin and salt:  reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has thickened up.
  • If you want thinner sauce add a little more vegetable stock until you have the consistency that you desire.

 Red Enchilada Sauce ingredients

heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.

add the chili powder.

pour in the vegetable stock and can of tomato sauce.

add the oregano, cumin and salt and whisk in well.

reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until....

...the sauce has thickened to your personal preference - we like it a little thicker, but if you prefer a thinner consistency just add a little more vegetable stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment